Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Happy New Year

I'm having a hard time believing it is already 2008. We started off with a bang. First we went to the Lehi pool with the cousins and the Smiths. It is a really fun pool, but so far away we only do it about once a year. We had one of those little misunderstandings where Felicity thought her stuff was with my stuff, and I thought she knew she had her own bag. The long and short of it is that we ended up at a pool 25 minutes from home with no swimsuit for Felicity. Luckily, they sold swimsuits at the lifeguard booth. Unluckily, they charged $32.50 for a size 8 child's swimsuit. Since I've never paid more than $12 for a suit before, I wasn't too chipper. Betsy told me that I've had too many hand-me-downs, and to just figure I've now spent $2 per suit in my lifetime. Marden told me that since it would have cost about $16 in gas to go back home, I only spent $16.50 for a brand new suit. Ah, the relative value of money. I'm still just acutely aware that it cost more to get a suit for Felicity (who only has about 10 swimsuits) than it did to get the entire family and two friends into the pool. But it is a cute suit!

That night we had a bunch of kids over for a New Years Eve bash. We had pizza (if you can call Little Caesars real pizza. But hey--it is cheap!) and a sleepover. I'm trying really hard to stay a fun, involved mom despite effects of the "potential person" I'm carrying. Unfortunately, first-trimester moms with sensitive noses don't belong in the same room with teenage boys who are hot and sweaty from an intense video game battle. Thank goodness for Marden, Brian, and Dawn, who pretty much took over. I'm always touched when my family and friends bail me out.

I hope everyone has a wonderful year.

2 comments:

Naomi said...

Glad you guys had a Happy New Year. What a fun way to bring in the new year--in a pool! It has been so cold here, we didn't get to do any of that this year . . .

It really does just grate to have to pay that much for a swim suit, doesn't it?

Tami said...

My kids went swimming too. The hot tub was a bigger hit. You still keep busy while you're pregnant. That's so awesome.