Friday, January 30, 2009

I started a new adventure this week. I went to a friend's home show about two weeks ago, and fell in love with the product. Can you guess what it was?

BOOKS!

It was an Usborne Books show. I went because the only thing I knew about Usborne was that they made really good kids' reference books, and I wanted to get some astronomy/constellation books for Seph and Felicity. They're both into that right now. I walked out with a board book about puppies for Aurora, fairy tales for Felicity, and a commitment to do a home show myself.

The board book is called a "Touchy Feely" book, and all the puppies ears or tummies are fuzzy. The bouncy ball feels rubbery, and one puppy has its head stuck in a shiny pail! I'm in love!

I still hadn't chosen my astronomy book yet, so I took a catalog home with me. The more I looked at the books, the more I wanted the books. By Monday, I'd decided to become a consultant! Everyone always teased me growing up that I'd become a librarian. Instead, I'm a bookstore!

I'm really impressed with the company. They offered a screamin' good deal on my "Starter Kit", and only require a one-time selling commitment after that; and additional purchases I make also apply toward that commitment. I thought that was pretty cool. I've joined books clubs before that required a bigger commitment from me!

Anyway, I'm excited, but pretty grounded about it. I realize it could peter out or not turn into much, but I did have my "kick-off" party last night. Two of my friends committed to having a party, and four others are considering it, so I'm off to an encouraging start.

One of the funnest parts for me is how encouraging Marden has been. He's always wanted to be an entrepeneur, so he has all sorts of suggestions and ideas. We get the best of both worlds: the chance to try "our own business" and the security and benefits of a steady job!

He helped me get a domain name for the website that is part of my business package. I'm now the proud "owner" of a wesite called www.iraleebooks.com. It takes you to the Usborne bookstore, but I automatically get the commissions from purchased made on the site.

If anyone wants to buy some extremely cool books for kids birthdays, or just for your own library, come check it all out!

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Wow Iralee!! It sounds like you are up to all kinds of fun things...new business...volleyball team. Very exciting.

Naomi said...

Wow! I guess I have been out of the blog loop for longer than I thought. Where have I been??

My kids have really enjoyed they books they got from Mom. I need to check things out--I was really impressed with what I saw.